It’s the time of year when people travel to visit family, celebrate the holidays or go up north to play in the snow. You’ve probably heard stories about people traveling out of town for a weekend and arriving home to discover leaks or floods. As your Scottsdale plumber, we want to help you avoid coming home to a problem or emergency. A lot of extra hassle and expense down the road can be avoided simply by performing small repairs and regular maintenance ahead of time. Review this Homeowner’s Vacation Check List.
Here is a check list from Ben Franklin Plumbing AZ, your local plumbing experts. Feel free to share this with your friends and neighbors when they’re planning to go out of town, too.
Here are things you can do before you depart:
- Make sure that your main shut off is in working order so that you can turn the water off before leaving or if a leak should occur while you are gone, someone could turn the water off for you.
- Be sure your reverse osmosis system has undergone yearly maintenance to check for leaks.
- If your water heater has a vacation mode, use it to avoid any energy usage while you’re away.
- Look around the outside of the home to make certain that nothing is dripping.
- Avoid a bad smell when you return home by being sure your garbage disposal is cleared out.
- Check all the connections to the washing machine, all toilets and under the faucets to be sure nothing is leaking or moist.
Here are a few more reminders:
- Leave your plumber’s contact information along with your information with a trusted friend or neighbor before you leave.
- Make a note of where your main shut off valve is located and any other information they need to know.
- Authorize your plumber to make emergency repairs in your absence and give them your contact information in case you need to be reached.
Are you in need of a total plumbing inspection or maintenance check-up? Contact Ben Franklin Plumbing AZ, your Scottsdale plumber servicing homes all over the valley, today. (602) 273-1740